There are a number of questions parents or guardians should ask when considering enrolling a child into a distributed learning program. These questions are based on the experiences of teachers and parents who have had children go through online programs.
- Am I willing to learn the necessary technology to help my child?
- Am I willing to be actively involved in my child's education and progress?
- Do I check my emails regularly and respond to them in a timely fashion?
- Can I assist my child in establishing a daily routine?
- Am I willing to assist my child in organizing daily work and assignments?
- Can I be aware of deadlines and working with my child to ensure that assignments and tests are being completed and submitted to the teacher by the due dates?
- Am I willing to check my child's marks on a regular basis to monitor progress?
- Will I encourage my child to ask the teacher questions when he/she does not understand?
- Is my relationship with my child such that he/she will respond to my support, encouragement and assistance?
- Do I enjoy being with my child?
- Am I willing to discuss and encourage my child's progress?
- Can I provide a positive learning environment?
More information and resources regarding distributed learning are available for students and parents at the LearnNowBC website.
MyEducation BC (MyEdBC) PARENT PORTAL which will allow parents and/guardians to access term grades, and other information on their child(ren).
The instructions on how to login and navigate the Parent Portal can be found in the attachment below.
With your login ID and password, you can access the Parent Portal at: https://www.myeducation.gov.bc.ca/aspen/logon.do