There are a number of questions parents or guardians should ask when considering enrolling a child into a distributed learning program. These questions are based on the experiences of teachers and parents who have had children go through online programs.
- Am I willing to learn the necessary technology to help my child?
- Am I willing to be actively involved in my child's education and progress?
- Do I check my emails regularly and respond to them in a timely fashion?
- Can I assist my child in establishing a daily routine?
- Am I willing to assist my child in organizing daily work and assignments?
- Can I be aware of deadlines and working with my child to ensure that assignments and tests are being completed and submitted to the teacher by the due dates?
- Am I willing to check my child's marks on a regular basis to monitor progress?
- Will I encourage my child to ask the teacher questions when he/she does not understand?
- Is my relationship with my child such that he/she will respond to my support, encouragement and assistance?
- Do I enjoy being with my child?
- Am I willing to discuss and encourage my child's progress?
- Can I provide a positive learning environment?
More information and resources regarding distributed learning are available for students and parents at the LearnNowBC website.